Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Intro

We tend to get offered shittier consumer goods all the time; someone sources a cheaper part, the chinese get it made, and big retailers can offer it for a fraction of what you would have paid for the equivalent a few years ago (even when you correct for inflation). The shorter working life is a bonus for the manufacturer anyway. Building a toaster today to last 20 years would be unthinkable: once everyone's got a toaster, you're out of a job. It's no wonder that Value Village got bought up by that big american bargain outfit: thrift and bargain stores now compete against each other directly.
Assuming all this is true though, is there really any reason for me to be shelling out good money for this stuff and then having to store it? Maybe not. Usually I have some kind of theory of a project I'd like to do with something. Later I might lay out a few ideas/plans for some of these planned recycling projects, and hopefully that will help me get motivated to actually get on some of it. I'll try to throw in some links as well.

No comments: